Friday, April 1, 2011

The great Kindle debate

Every day I have the great Kindle debate with myself. Especially these days, as I drag the 500+ page Jonathan Franzen book along with me, I think to myself that it would be fantastic to be able to hold that many pages plus hundreds of other books with one hand, instead of toting around 10 extra pounds in my purse. Then I argue the other side, again with myself, that no one is going to steal my 500+ page hardcover book and therefore carrying the book in my hand as I transfer trains is probably a better idea. Oh also, there's another minor issue in buying a Kindle. It cost $100+  plus the cost of books, and I have lots and lots of books I haven't read on my bookshelf at home. 

But, today I discovered another topic I can consider in the great Kindle debate. I was on the Green Line on the way home, entranced in my book in a seat beside a stranger, when he snapped me out of my ignore everyone around you trance that I usually have on the metro. He actually asked what I thought of the book. He had read Freedom and Corrections and had some thoughts about them both. He then actually asked me what other authors I liked to read. And the best part, I was able to answer. Jonathan S something F something. Later to google and realize I need to pay more attention to authors I read and like: Jonathan Safran Foer. Anyway, no one can take interest in what you are reading in public if you have a Kindle. It is such a private device and can't really strike up a "we have something in common" conversation at random times, which sometimes can be so interesting. 

Oh also, can you color code a Kindle library of books, because if not, it just lost another point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment