Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beauty in books


Currently reading another of Jonathan Safran Foer's books: Everything is Illuminated. His writing in this book is strickingly different than his writing in Extremely Close...but I can sense the similarities. He writes from an uncomfortable perspective-in ECIL, it's an (I'm assuming) autistic's 10-year-old mourning point-of-view. In Everything is Illuminated, it is from the POV of a young Ukranian who takes on English as a second language. Read the first paragraph:
"My legal name is Alexander Perchov. But all of my many friends dub me Alex, beause that is a more flaccid-to-utter version of my legal name. Mother dubs me Alexi-stop-spleening-me!, because I am always speening her. If you want to know why I am always spleeing her, it is because I am always elsewhere with friends, and disseminating so much currency, and performing so many things that can spleen a mother"
I think the uncomfortable produces beauty.

Some of the next books on my list:
Beauty from a cover..
 Beauty from the unknown..
 Beauty from experiences..

No comments:

Post a Comment