Monday, March 14, 2011

Why I discovered I liked reading after college

Well, to be fair, probably after high school, but basically reading history makes either my mind wander or makes me sleepy. I've been reading Cleopatra (by Stacy Schiff) for weeks now.


It is really good, and totally makes me want to visit Egypt--though probably a more resplendent city in 46 BC than present day. It is a history book, though. It references sources, mainly Plutarch, and brings up names that I should have remembered from 20 pages ago, but don't, but mainly makes me yearn for well written fiction. 

I can't deny the images some of the text evokes. How could you not day dream when reading of how Cleopatra received Mark Antony for the first time "creating a spectacles that has seldom been equaled for beauty." Especially the "elaborate constellation of lights strung overhead." How am I supposed to resist?!
Saved these for non-blog use and now I don't know the source! 

No comments:

Post a Comment